Thursday, March 7, 2013

kolarkoja, torvkåta, and koalas

As spring approaches the urgency to decide on what semi-permanent shelter I want to build increases.

I have had many suggestions forwarded, many thoughts cross my mind, and many Internet searches sifted through.  Just some of these:

tepee
debris hut
walled tent
micro house
log cabin
yurt
pallet house

All have pros and cons.....but what I have landed on is a kolarkoja.  Very similar structures are listed as torvkåta. 

I'm not entirely sure I can do justice to the pronunciation of either....so I'm going to call my new home a koala.  Cute, cuddly, awesome.

From google images:





It blends into the surroundings, has a wood stove, natural insulation, and it super cute.  The only issue I've seen is that they don't seem to have windows....but I'm sure I can figure that one out.

There are far fewer pictures of the inside of these shelters but here are a couple I found:





 
I am super excited to start this project.

It is gonna be AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME!! I will certainly worry about you much less in this snug little home! If you need any help building let me know! I would be happy to help.
    --Shellie

    ReplyDelete